H-1B Sponsorship for Teachers

The H-1B visa is a common non-immigrant visa option that allows a school to sponsor teachers to work in the United States for a total period of up to six years, though extensions beyond that are available to those that reach a certain point in the green card process.

To qualify for an H-1B, both the sponsored teacher must have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.

As an employer sponsor, schools are subject to many attestation requirements regarding wages, benefits packages, and public notice and recordkeeping requirements to participate in the program. The school must pay the higher of either the actual wage it pays its other similarly situated U.S. workers, or the prevailing wage as determined by the Department of Labor for that specific occupation and geographic area.

Read more about H-1B sponsorship and requirements.

Change of Status from J-1 Teacher to H-1B

Changes of status from J-1 Teacher to the H-1B are possible as long as the teacher is not subject to the two-year home residency requirement, or has obtained a waiver of that requirement.

U.S. Immigration Assistance for Teachers

Read more here about U.S. immigration options for teachers. If you are a teacher or employer in need of assistance with immigration issues, we welcome you to contact an immigration attorney at Sivaraman Immigration Law to request a consultation.