Affected by a Recent Hurricane?

In light of recent events, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued a message detailing immigration services that may help people affected by disasters, such as a hurricane.

What can I request?

The following measures are available on a case-by-case basis, and must be requested:

  • You can change a nonimmigrant status or extend a nonimmigrant status for someone in the U.S. If you cannot apply for the extension or change before expiration of your authorized period of admission, you may be excused if the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances, such as a natural disaster.
  • Re-parole of individuals previously granted USCIS parole may be available.
  • Expedited processing of advance parole requests may be available.
  • F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship may be eligible for expedited adjudication of requests for off-campus employment authorization.
  • Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications may be available.
  • If there is an inability to pay, the consideration of fee waivers may be available.
  • Received a Request for Evidence or a Notice of Intent to Deny but were unable to submit evidence or otherwise respond in a timely manner due to unforeseen circumstance--assistance may be available.
  • Unable to appear for a scheduled interview with USCIS due to unforeseen circumstances--assistance may be available.
  • If your immigration or travel documents issued by USCIS were lost or damaged, expedited replacement may be available.
  • Biometrics appointments may be able to be rescheduled if they were missed due to unforeseen circumstances.

USCIS emphasizes that when making a request for any of these services, explain how the impact of a hurricane created the need for requested relief.

Visit USCIS for more information about how to request one of these options.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our legal team directly.

Categories: Immigration News