Revised USCIS Form Allows Individuals to Obtain EAD and Social Security Number Together

According to a news release from the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA Doc. No. 17100230), on October 2, 2017, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that it updated Form I-765. This form is the Application for Employment Authorization. The revised form now includes questions that allow applicants to apply for a social security number or a replacement EAD card. Additionally, applicants can now do these things without visiting a Social Security office.

The form will streamline the process to obtain a work authorization document as well as a social security number. This change is the result of a new information-sharing partnership between USCIS and the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Foreign workers need both an employment authorization document (EAD) and a Social Security number (SSN) to work in the U.S. Previously, applicants had to submit Form I-765 for the EAD and then obtain a SSN in person. In the future, applications who receive an approved EAD from USCIS will receive their SSN card in the mail.

What are EADs and SSNs?

EADs serve as documentation to prove to employers that an individual is legally allowed to work in the U.S. for a certain amount of time. SSNs are used to determine one's eligibility for certain benefits, and to report wages to the government.

Finally, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact our legal team.

Categories: Immigration News