EB-1 Visa for Outstanding Researchers and Professors
The Outstanding Researcher or Professor category requires an employer sponsor and, to be eligible, the individual must demonstrate they:
a) Are recognized internationally as outstanding in a specific academic field,
b) Have at least three years of experience in teaching or research in that academic field, and
c) Have a job offer from the petitioning employer for either a tenured position to teach or comparable permanent position to conduct research in the academic field at an institution of higher education — or — a comparable permanent position to conduct research in the academic field within a department, division, or institute of a private employer that employs three or more full-time researchers with documented accomplishments in an academic field.
To prove that the Outstanding Researcher or Professor is recognized internationally as outstanding in the academic field, one must provide evidence in at least two of the following six categories:
- Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement in the academic field;
- Membership in associations in the academic field which require outstanding achievements in the academic field;
- Published material in professional publications written by others about the individual’s work in the academic field;
- Evidence of the individual’s participation as the judge of the work of others in the same or an allied academic field;
- Evidence of the individual’s original scientific or scholarly research contributions to the academic field (patents or other intellectual property); or
- Evidence of the individual’s authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the academic field.
If the individual teaches in an area where these categories do not readily apply, comparable evidence may be submitted to prove the individual’s eligibility.
More Information on Permanent Residence Options for Academics
- Overview: Permanent Residence for Academics
- EB-1 Visa for Extraordinary Ability
- EB-2 National Interest Waiver
If you have additional questions, we welcome you to contact an immigration attorney at Sivaraman Immigration Law to request a consultation.