F-1 Student Visa


The majority of individuals studying in the United States will require an F-1 student visa, sponsored by a school approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to host international students. Students are issued Form I-20, which is then used to apply for the F-1 visa. While the primary purpose of the F-1 visa is to study, there are several options for F-1 students to seek employment as a means of gaining experience in their field of study after completion of their first academic year.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorizes F-1 students to work through an internship or co-op course or as a required part of their degree progra… Read More

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a type of employment that can be used either during the course of study as pre-completion OPT (part time during t… Read More

About Attorney Sivaraman

Heather Sivaraman's Profile Image
Sivaraman Immigration Law’s founder, Heather Sivaraman, brings an exceptional level of initiative, creativity and dedication to the practice of Immigration Law. A 2008 graduate of the University of North Carolina School of Law, she is an active… Read More
Jing's Profile Image
Jing Huang, Associate Attorney, holds a Master’s degree in Law from University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa and a Bachelor’s degree in Law from China Women’s University. Prior to joining Sivaraman Immigration Law, Jing worked as an attorney in China s… Read More

Attorney Profile