When to File Adjustment of Status May 2019

When to File Adjustment o…

How to Adjust Your Status

If you want to adjust your status and become a U.S. permanent resident under a family-sponsored or employment-based visa, you must first have a relative or employer file an immigrant visa petition on your behalf. Then, USCIS will need to approve this petition. After approval, you will need to file a form I-485, or an adjustment of status application.

When Should You File Your Adjustment of Status Application?

The visa bulletin charts will help you determine when to file your form I-485. If the date on the chart is current (C) or if your priority date is earlier than the date on the chart, you can file your adjustment of status application. Your priority date can be the date when your relative or employer filed the immigrant visa petition on your behalf with USCIS or the date your labor certification application was accepted for processing by the Department of Labor. For family-sponsored filings, use the Dates for Filing chart and for employment-based preference filings, use the Final Action Dates chart in the visa bulletin. You can also visit this link for additional help determining when to file.

The Department of State also offers a recorded message with the visa final action dates. It is updated around the 10th of each month with the information for the following month. Call (202)-485-7699 to hear this message.

For More Information:

Learn more about the Adjustment of Status filing process here.

This blog post does not serve as legal advice and does not establish any client-attorney privilege. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our legal team directly.

Find us on LinkedIn.