Civil Documents Required for Visa Processing

Immigrant visa and nonimmigrant visa applicants are required to submit or provide copies of certain civil documents as part of their visa application. These civil documents may include birth certificates, marriage certificates, and police records. If applying for an immigrant visa through a U.S. consulate abroad, applicants must send photocopies of all required civil documents to the National Visa Center, and, in addition, must submit the originals, or certified copies, and a photocopy of each required civil document to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at the time of your interview. In addition, all documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa, must be accompanied by certified translations.

What information do the visa reciprocity schedules contain?

Each Visa Reciprocity Page provides detailed information about how to obtain these civil documents from the country you have selected, as well as the location of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you can apply for your visa. For more information about civil document requirements for immigrant and nonimmigrant visa cases, see civil documents.

How do I use the visa reciprocity schedule?

To view Civil Documents for your country of nationality, select your country or area of authority from the drop-down menu. Then, once on the Reciprocity Page, use the tabs on the left to see the categories of Civil Documents necessary. Review each item and obtain any that apply to you or your immigrating family members.

Finally, civil and personal documents may differ between countries. Select the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will apply for a visa to learn what additional requirements there are, if any.

Categories: Forms, Immigration News